.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

 

On Acrobatics, Hurting Yourself, and the Familial Connection

Most of you have heard that my father got a trip to the hospital, on the sunday, that would be easter sunday.

Why? Because he fainted, twice, the day before, but didn't think it would be prudent to go to the hospital then.

He thought it go away on its own, because secretly my dad got his Medical Doctorate without telling the rest of the family.

Anyway, I get a phone call on the sunday morning, Im to drive dad to the hospital, he can't stand up without feeling faint. So we drive him to the hospital.

He explains that he's faint and that his chest hurts. I've never seen nurses and doctors swarm so fast. I think I counted 2 doctors and 4 nurses, moving about him like angry bees.

I, at this point, feel useless and go off to read the paper. Apparently when you walk into an emergancy feeling faint for over a day and chest pains, they think its something serious.

He had an irregular heartbeat, he was running well over 150, for over 12 hours mind you, and thats why he kept getting faint, his body couldn't handle the strain. They hit him with the paddles and it fixed itself. This is the time when all the nurses started yelling at him for not coming in the day before, they needn't have bothered, I had already scolded him.

So there we were, father and son, just having a father and son chat, in an emergancy room...with IVs (three) and Electrodes (2) and paddle pads (2) and all manner of devices flowing from his body to a beepy little machine.

It was quality time.

Atleast I got him to go to the hospital, I don't think I could handle the alternative, not so soon after my granddad passed on.

So that's my story, he's good now

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?